Diary of a working mum – Tuesday

So the alarm went off at 6.30 and it only took me ten minutes to get out of bed. E was still asleep and stayed so until I was dressed. She greeted me with a smile and then pooed all over the changing table. I changed her and we both had a drink (her – milk, me – redbush tea) before getting dressed, cleaning our teeth and I put some make up on.

There was a snow flurry as I showed S how to use my mobile which he was borrowing for the day. He left and E and I hotfotted it to nursery. She doesn’t normally go on Tuesdays but S had a trial day with a potential job today so we put her in a day early. She arrived in time for breakfast which should have stopped her from crying.

The nicest part of the day is walking across the park to the bus stop. Today I greeted a dog walker and watched two people use the outdoor gym equipment – one of them was doing it very wrong indeed. The snow flurry had gone and there were blue skies and sunshine. It was the kind of day you’d say was lovely if it was January. As it was, the frost on the spring crocuses was just a bit depressing. The park is one of the main reasons I bought my house – I walked around the neighbourhood after the viewing and thought it was lovely. The Queen graced it with her presence in June and it’s now a QEII field which means it can never be built on. Which is great as it’s a really nice resource and about the only amenity this area has. There’s lots of play equipment, a pond, good planting that encourages bees and on Saturdays lots of football tournaments. It’s well used.

I still get a childish enjoyment from sitting at the top front of a double decker bus and happily plugged my ipod in for the journey. I’m enjoying the Rick Redbeard album a lot at the moment and was this morning right up until I bumped into an ex-boyfriend getting off the bus. We had a brief conversation catching up with news but soon ran out of things to say, so we suffered several awkward pauses. Luckily he had to go and catch another bus leaving me feeling “whatever was I thinking?”

I popped into Superdrug to buy E some Vaporub – several people have recommended putting it on her feet for her cough. The staff clearly have a script to work to; everyone was offered a bag, stamps, phone top up and a loyalty card (in that order).

I was the first into the office and made myself some breakfast and more tea. My main job today was moving desks. I like a new perspective and it’s good not to have my back to the door any more (which always gave me the heebie-jeebies) but moving means that I spent much of the day syncing accounts, filling the recycling bin and dealing with other people’s crumbs.

At lunchtime I stopped by the library to drop off a book. I am, however, physically incapable of not going to have a look at the books and left with a further four to read. The library is not well funded so the stock range isn’t broad but delve between the Patterson, Grisham and Douglas Kennedy and you can find some interesting titles. I also stopped at a market stall to unlock the old phone for S to use.

At 4pm I left work, figuring E would have been at nursery 8 1/2 hours and that was long enough. When I got there, the pushchair had gone from under the tree where I left it this morning so I thought S must have finished work earlier than expected and picked her up. I turned round and left when I was pursued by a nursery worker. “Were you looking for the pushchair?” she said. “It’s inside! She’s still here!” So now I’m known as the woman who abandons her child at the first sign of something different. Luckily they understood (or pretended to). E was v happy to see me and bestowed many cuddles on me for the time we played together at home.

S got in, showered and ironed his clothes for tomorrow and then we bathed E and got her ready for bed. While I put her to bed the phone rang and it was the job people today, offering S regular work. So far, just one day a week but then it may increase as the business expands. Hooray! As it stands, he currently makes less money than our childcare but another day’s work and childcare makes us about break even. Just. He really enjoyed today though so it’s good news and hopefully will lead to something fulfilling and fun for him.

My evening has been spent packing bags for tomorrow, more story editing and, the all important task of the day, paying my Glastonbury balance. Done! Woop! For some reason I’m more tired than usual so I may soon get away from the computer, knit or read (and eat more Easter egg).

And that’s the first day of the blog experiment! Pretty average. More tomorrow.

This entry was posted in Motherhood, Observations and general nonsense, Parenting and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Diary of a working mum – Tuesday

  1. I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own weblog and was curious what all is needed to get set up? I’m assuming having
    a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny? I’m not very web smart so I’m not 100% positive. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

    • basfordianthoughts says:

      I’ll be honest – I’m not sure if you’re a real person or not as I get some comments that are like this but written badly and they usually end up in the junk folder. I’m giving you the benefit of the doubt. This blog is free – if you’ve registered with WordPress to leave this comment then you should be able to set one up using your log in. You choose a theme and appearance for your blog and can add features or widgets (such as a Twitter feed, archive, badges for other sites etc) to the side or bottom to personalise it. It’s fairly idiot proof – just follow instructions and you can change anything afterwards.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s